MetroStars Federation Cup future uncertain
THE credibility of SA’s Federation Cup — the oldest knockout competition in Australia which dates back to 1907 — hangs in the balance.
MetroStars qualified for the FFA Cup round of 32 after winning the Australian NPL final series last year.
But the club has had notification from Football Federation SA that is has been barred from participation in the preliminary local cup rounds and it has angered chairman Andrew Perrone.
“I understand they’re making all state cup competitions defunct and all state cups have been replaced by FFA Cup elimination,’’ Perrone said.
“They’ve devalued it (Federation Cup) and it’s not only us other clubs could be in the same boat and I’m arguing that we’re part of a participation licence and that’s us and every other local club to be able to compete in every grassroots competition.
“Is it (Federation Cup) a real tournament or is the winner now just a consolation prize to get into the FFA Cup?
”Football Federation Australia will meet in the next 48 hours to discuss MetroStars predicament after merging all state knockout cup competitions into the Westfield FFA Cup.
The rebrand will mean the FFA Cup will be part of every state’s regional knockout matches before the competition reaches a climax with 22 state league clubs joining 10 A-League clubs in the round of 32.June 28 has been marked down as the date of the FFA Cup qualifying final in SA.
Round one of the SA’s FFA Cup will be drawn at half-time of the NPL season opener between MetroStars and Croydon Kings after FFA chief executive David Gallop helps launch the NPL nationally at West Beach on Wednesday.
MetroStars will be joined by the SA’s FFA Cup qualifying final winner and Adelaide United in this year’s round of 32 which saw the Reds win the inaugural competition in December.
Perrone said the FFA Cup has been put on the agenda at Monday’s club chairman’s meeting which is also discussing the program for 2016.