top of page

Match Report: Adelaide City 2-0 MetroStars

MetroStars knocked out of FFA Cup in painful 2-0 defeat

VALO Football Centre greeted MetroStars on a cold Wednesday night as they prepared to take on Adelaide City for a spot in this year's FFA Cup Round of 32.

MetroStars found themselves in the game on the back of victories against Playford City, Brahma Lodge and WT Birkalla. City had claimed wins against Adelaide Hills Hawks, White City and Sturt Lions.

The first chance of the game went early to City as Charlie Devereux sent a free kick towards the right post where Halliday had a header that hit the crossbar, this was then deflected into the goals but the Assistant Referee’s flag was up ruling out the goal. An early scare for MetroStars.

The first quarter of the game was very even. Both teams had chances but nothing of certainty. They seemed timid and didn’t want to make the first mistake in such an important game.

25 minutes in it looked as though Barbiero had chipped the goalkeeper from inside his own half, however it went painstakingly wide, a near goal of the year contender.

Shortly after City seemed destined to score when Bucco put Brown through with a gorgeous long ball. He received it at the edge of the area and shot just wide of the post.

It was a very dry first half with neither team making a mistake. MetroStars were able to maintain large sums of possession, but didn’t seem able to break down the impenetrable defence of City.

30 seconds after the kick off of the second half it looked as though Costa was through on goal despite strong claims of a handball. THe referee let it go until assistance was provided to him to call the ball back.

Shortly into the half Barbiero found Josh Mori on the right wing who sent in a gorgeous cross to the back post, only for Esposito to volley the ball so that it bounced over the crossbar.

The second half started much quicker and both teams seemed more open to gambling at chances.

10 minutes in, Adelaide City used strong teamwork to find Bucco on the edge of the 18 yard box. He sent a thundering shot into the top right corner, leaving Carmondy with no chance at stopping the strike.

9 minutes after the first goal City were in again. A long ball through the MetroStars defence found Aladin Irabona with plenty of room to move. He squared the ball to Bucco who kindly lay it into the path of Jo Costa who dribbled a shot into the bottom corner. This put City ahead 2-nil and left MetroStars 25 minutes to make up the 2 goal deficit.

Despite the 2 goal advantage MetroStars had momentum that was building up, and they were consistently getting into strong attacking areas.

Late in the second half Captain Solagna put Esposito through but he was unable to direct his header towards goal, a painful miss.

Despite the constant pressure MetroStars attack didn’t seem to be bending together and City stood firm in a strong defence, similar to the England vs Scotland game. Josh Mori was excellent up front but he was unable to find a finishing shot into the goal.

MetroStars ended the game down 2-nil and were knocked out of the FFA Cup, painstakingly close to the national stage for another year. The next game they will play is against Adelaide Olympic at TK Shutter Reserve on Saturday.


Metro Homes thumbnail.png
Untitled design (12).png
Untitled design (10).png
bottom of page