Match Report: Campbelltown City 4-2 MetroStars

MetroStars give away two goal lead to go down 4-2

Round 5 was disappointing for MetroStars as they were unable to capitalise on their early goals. After 19 minutes they were ahead by 2 goals thanks to Gow and Mori however they weren’t able to hold on and conceded some unlucky goals.

This Friday night game was sure to be a thriller as City welcomed MetroStars to Steve Woodcock Sports Centre. Campbelltown were not off to a good start, having 2 losses and 2 draws, while MetroStars had 1 win and 2 draws.

The game started well for City with Marino getting an open tap in but he failed to capitalise on it. 8 minutes in Alessio Melisi dribbled around his man before putting in a lucky, deflected cross that was put past the opposition keeper by Josh Mori, his second goal of the season.

A short while later Dylan Smith found himself with an opportunity from the edge of the 18 yard box, however he wasn’t able to bend his shot in.

In the 19th minute MetroStars found themselves ahead by 2 goals when Hamish Gow was able to get his head onto the end of a cross from Dawber. He seemed to be completely free in the middle of the area and he was able to finish it, showing the dominance the away side were displaying.

However, 2 minutes later Campbelltown struck back to show they weren’t finished yet. Trey Williams turned his defender inside out before side footing a shot from the edge of the area past the diving O’Donnell’s left hand.

The next goal came from no where, Marc Marino got himself onto a loose pass and slotted it past the keeper, leaving him with no chance of saving it. It was a very disappointing goal to concede, and inside 10 minutes Campbelltown had got themselves level with MetroStars.

The drama didn’t stop there, a minute later City were handed a controversial penalty for what was adjudged a handball inside the penalty area. Alexander Mullen stepped up and calmly stroked it past the keeper, putting Campbelltown ahead 3-2 after 28 minutes.

The turn around seemed to be complete and the home side had all the momentum.

Tensions were high for the rest of the half and there were beginning to be some dangerous tackles being thrown around, but nothing that ended in a send off.

MetroStars started the second half off much stronger with multiple chances coming their way. Despite this, in the 54th minute Campbelltown added to their lead thanks to Luigi Ditroia finding an open Marino in the middle of the field where he was able to finish into an open net. This counter attack left the away side with a lot to do if they were to level the scores.

MetroStars continued to pile on the pressure but they never really had a solid chance on goal, City were always able to scramble at the back. Their best chance came in the 85th minute when a cross came in from the right, leaving Piol an uncontested header at goal, but he was unable to direct it on target.

They continued their attacks, this time Gow put in a dangerous cross from a free kick, and from 6 yards out, debutant Naidoo was unable to get it past the advancing defender.

It wasn’t meant to be for MetroStars and they finished the game down 4-2. This leaves them down in 10th place after 5 games, with a huge game against the Blue Eagles next Saturday at T.K. Shutter Reserve.