top of page

Match Report: MetroStars 2-2 Adelaide Comets

MetroStars overcome 2 early goals to come away with a draw

The first Saturday night game at T.K. Shutter Reserve was set to be a huge game for both teams as they progressed towards the finals. MetroStars and Adelaide Comets were 2nd and 3rd respectively, only 1 point separating the 2 teams.

The game started off magnificently for the Comets as they hit the lead after 4 minutes. Ninko Beric picked up the ball from the halfway line and made his way past a defender before sending a shot off from 30 yards out. He sent it swerving into the top corner, leaving Carmody with very little chance of saving it.

The momentum continued for the away side when 4 minutes later they were given another chance. A very minor indiscretion inside the box led to a penalty and the captain Allan Welsh stepped up and put it past the goalkeeper. There was a long way for MetroStars to come back, however 80 minutes were still remaining.

To continue with the flow of the game MetroStars pulled themselves back into the game almost instantly. Christian Esposito put through a gorgeous long ball which Mori headed over the advancing goalkeeper. This was his 5th game of the season and he is in strong goal scoring form. 12 minutes into the game 3 goals had already been scored so it seemed there would be a mountain of goals.

Tensions were high with many early fouls, both teams were willing to give anything to get a win in this important game.

17 minutes in the home side got another good chance when Piol turned provider for Esposito who shot for the bottom corner, however goalkeeper Vaughan was up to the task and calmly saved it.

24 minutes in, Carmody showed extreme bravery when he was left with a 1 on 1. He came flying out of the box, putting his body on the line to clear the ball. This was a fright for the defence and a good chance for a goal.

Just before halftime Comets came extremely close to a 3rd goal. For corners they decided to crowd the goalkeeper and the ensuing corner was swung in and hit the crossbar, whiskers away from another goal.

Going into half time MetroStars had dominated proceedings despite being down by a goal. Josh Mori and Hamish Gow had been pulling the strings through the middle of the field and were very unfortunate. The homme side had 8 shots to 6, 5 of which were on target.

The second half began very even with neither team asserting dominance. There was also a plethora of fouls which made the game very fragmented.

From the 60th minute MetroStars regained some of the earlier dominance. There were multiple corners swung in, none of them finding an attacking player's head.

74 minutes in, the first real chance for either team in the half came. A cross was whipped in from the right where it found Esposito’s head who laid it out in front of Josh Mori to shoot from 12 yards, however the ball went flying over the bar. It seemed that it wouldn’t be MetroStars day.

It took the whole 90 minutes but the home side finally found the equalisier.

Connor O’Rielly played an immaculate 50 metre through ball that Francesco Schimizzi controlled under pressure before chipping it over the goalkeeper from the edge of the box. This sent the home fans into celebrations and they spurred them on to find the winner in injury time.

It wasn’t to be and the game ended 2-all, possibly leaving both teams unsatisfied. MetroStars finished with 11 shots, 7 on target, compared to the Comets 8 shots with 4 on target.

Next week's game for MetroStars will be against Cumberland United at AA Bailey Reserve on Saturday afternoon. MetroStars are currently in second and haven’t lost a game in the last 5 appearances. Their opposition are in 8th, leaving it to be an interesting and important game for both teams.


Metro Homes thumbnail.png
Untitled design (12).png
Untitled design (10).png
bottom of page