top of page

Match Report: MetroStars 2-3 Cumberland United

Strong Cumberland performance leaves them with 3 points over unlucky MetroStars

MetroStars vs Cumberland Match Report by Matthew Staples @mattystaples13 on Twitter

On Friday the 16th April, MetroStars welcomed Cumberland to TK Shutter Reserve for the first home game of their season. The homeside came in on the back of a 1-1 draw with Adelaide Comets while Cumberland had a 3-nil thrashing of Adelaide Olympic in Round 1. Between the 2 sides there had been 12 meetings, with MetroStars winning 9 and drawing 1. The last time that Cumberland had won was all the way back in June 2013. It was a rather cold night, however, there was a generous crowd offering support for the Red and Yellow.

MetroStars got off to a strong start in the game, where they dominated territory for the first 10 minutes. 5 minutes in Matthew Dawber got a great shot on goal, however it just went wide of the far post.

12 minutes in the first caution was received for Jack Harvey for a dangerous sliding tackle

through the back of Christian Esposito. The game was very physical with both teams giving

away early free kicks.

19 minutes in Cumberland got their first real chance on goal thanks to a great through ball,

however it was denied by a great left footed save from Jackson O’Donnell. They had another strong chance later when David Signore put in a cross from the right wing, only for Jumar Oakley’s shot to again be blocked, this time by Kamara on the line. Seconds later, MetroStars found themselves down the other end of the field with Dylan Smith hitting the crossbar with a strong strike from the edge of the box.

25 minutes in Zafiridis put in a beautiful left footed cross to Josh Mori who back headed the ball at goal, with it just clearing the crossbar. The chances were building up for the MetroStars, however, 2 minutes later a long throw in came in from Joshua Harvey, which was then headed into the top right of the goal by Sam Carmichael. It had disappointedly been lobbed over the keeper and he stood no chance of saving it.

Minutes later Cumberland’s Juan Gutierrez had another excellent chance when he had

O’Donnell caught out of position, but he put his attempt just to the right of the goals. The

momentum of the game had entirely shifted towards the visitors.

In the final minute of the first half MetroStars had another great chance, this time with Dawber crossing the ball in to Josh Mori put the ball into an open net from 6 yards out.

This meant both teams would go into halftime with a goal, Cumberland dominating the attacking possession. They had 8 shots, 7 of which were on target, and they conceded 7 free kicks. MetroStars had 7 shots, however only a disappointing 2 on target.

The second half saw Cumberland continue with their momentum, having multiple attempts on goal, but they couldn’t find the target. In the 51st minute, Thomas Briscoe got past two

defenders with some gorgeous skill moves, before slotting the ball into the top right corner from the edge of box, the finish somewhat similar to the first goal, lobbing gently over a diving goalkeeper.

Throughout the second half the theme seemed to be MetroStars playing the ball slowing, before giving it away in the middle with unnecessary turnovers.

In the 68th minute Oakley had another great chance when MetroStars gifted him a turnover at the edge of the 18 yard box, however Cooper O’Donnell performed a goal line clearance, protecting his brother’s goal.

Cumberland’s dominance continued when in the 80th minute Briscoe put Oatley through on

goal, in which he sent a thundering shot into the top corner of the goal, leaving the away fans ecstatic as they went up 3-1.

Despite the 2 goal lead MetroStars would not give up. Dawber put in a cross from the right hand side towards Melisi who had his shot blocked, only for it to deflect to Christian Esposito who put it past a flailing keeper from the top of the box.

Justin Davis continued to be a strong player down the right hand side, showing the right

enthusiasm for a subbed on player. In the 93rd minute, MetroStars had their last chance to level the match when Dawber put in another cross to captain Fabian Barbiero who couldn't manage to get his header on target. Another golden opportunity squandered.

In the 95th minute referee Cook called fulltime on the match with away side Cumberland

running out as 3-2 winners. The stats showed Cumberland with 18 shots, 13 on target, as well as conceding 12 fouls. MetroStars had 13 shots, with only 6 on target. They also conceded 14 fouls and were caught offside 5 times.

It was a disappointing result for the home side however they will be looking to build on this result when they play West Torrens Birkalla away in Round 2 of the FFA Cup.


2. Zafiridis (Callisto 58’), 7. Daloisio, 10. Solagna, 14. D. Smith (Piol 79’), 17. Dawber, 18.

Barbiero (Captain), 19. C. O’Donnell, 20. Mori, 22. Gow (Davis 69’), 28. Esposito, 45. J.

O’Donnell (GK), 68. Kamara (Melisi 79’)

Goals: J. Mori 45+1’, C. Esposito 87


1. L. Schoen (GK), 2. J.Schoen (Captain), 3. Harvey, 5. Carmichael, 6. Signore (Thannhauser 65’), 9. Gutierrez, 10. Oakley (Panagoulias 91’), 11. Briscoe (Charalambous 91’), 15. Wood, 17.

Dittmar, 20. Bakopanos (Gray 76’)

Goals: S. Carmichael 27’, T. Briscoe 51’, J. Oakley 80’

Cautions: J. Harvey 13’

A final thank you to NPL.TV who live streamed this game for free, as well as the expert

commentary from Paul Pellizzari and Rob Pepicelli, and sideline reporting from Michael Pirone


Metro Homes thumbnail.png
Untitled design (12).png
Untitled design (10).png
bottom of page